1kg thick boneless white fish fillets
750g peeled potatoes
175g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
320ml cold English ale
1 egg, whisked
5 ice cubes
300g frozen peas
lemon wedges, to serve
vegetable oil for deep frying
• Preheat oven to 200˚C.
• Cut the potatoes into chips (approx 1 1/2cm thick).
• Half fill a saucepan with oil and place over a medium-high heat and heat to 190˚C (oil is ready when a cube of bread turns golden brown in 10 seconds).
• When the oil is hot, add a quarter of the cut potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
• Transfer the cooked chips to a baking tray and place in the oven to keep warm.
• Cook the remaining chips in batches and place them in the oven.
• Take the pan off the heat.
• Sift the flour, baking powder and 1 tsp salt into a large bowl.
• Mix the ale and egg together and whisk them into the flour to make a batter.
• Add the ice cubes.
• Place the saucepan of oil over a medium heat.
• Coat 2 fish fillets in the batter and add them to the oil when it is hot.
• Cook until golden and crisp.
• Place a wire rack over the baking tray.
• Transfer the cooked fish to the wire rack and place them in oven.
• Repeat with remaining fish fillets.
• Cook the peas in a pan of boiling water 2 minutes and then drain.
• Add the butter, salt and pepper and roughly mash.
• Serve the fish, chips and mushy peas with lemon wedges.