A wonderful fish recipe to get the kids involved in for Haloween.
For the risotto
100g skinless smoked mackerel, bones removed and flaked
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
175g arborio or risotto rice
Approx 600ml hot salt-free vegetable stock
½ x 300g can mushy peas
For Herman’s features
100g skinless smoked mackerel fillets, bones removed and cut into 4 pieces
8 steamed broccoli florets
4 mini mozzarella balls, halved
2 black olives, chopped into small pieces
1. Make the risotto: heat the oil in a large pan. Tip in the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Stir in the rice and mix until it's all coated in the oil and onion.
3. Pour in a ladleful of hot stock. Give it a good stir, then leave it to gently cook until all the stock is absorbed. Continue adding the stock this way, stirring well and allowing the stock to be absorbed after each addition before adding more, until the rice is tender. The trick with this recipe is to make the risotto really thick, so it can hold its shape – so make sure your final risotto isn’t too liquidy!
4. Stir the flaked mackerel into the rice with the mushy peas. Cook until the mackerel and mushy peas are heated through.
5. Take the risotto off the heat and let it cool until it’s safe to handle. Using clean hands, shape the risotto into rectangles to make the heads.
6. Give Herman a mackerel hairdo, mozzarella and black olive eyes and broccoli ‘neck bolts’!