Good to Know from
These succulent cod fish cakes are light, packed with flavour and great for a healthy family meal.
- 2 x smoked cod portions
- 200g mashed potato, seasoned
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 50g white cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp of chives, chopped
- 50g seasoned flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Oil for frying
- Either bake the smoked cod in the oven at 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas mark 4 for 15 mins in a lightly oiled foil parcel; or grill under a medium heat (brushing top of the fish with oil) for 12-15 mins. When cooled, flake the fish.
- In a bowl, mix the fish, mashed potato, cheese, half the mustard and chives. Beat 1 egg and add to the mix to bind. Split the mix into 6 equal portions and mould into round fishcakes with your hands. Place on a plate and leave in the fridge to firm up.
- When fish cakes are firm cover in seasoned flour, dip into the egg, gently shake to remove excess and place one at a time onto a bed of breadcrumbs to cover the base, scooping the breadcrumbs up over the top and pressing them firmly onto the fishcakes to cover the gaps.
- In a large frying pan cover the base with oil. Fry over a medium heat for 10 mins, turning half way through.
Lay the fishcakes on kitchen paper to drain and make the delicious sauce by simply mixing the remaining mustard with the crème fraiche