50g pea shoots
½ medium avocado, cut into large dice
¼ red onion, finely sliced
50g fresh English strawberries, cut into half
½ juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp floral mustard
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
For basil oil
20g lemon or normal basil
50ml fruity olive oil (I use the Gay Farmer)
½ tsp Maldon salt
Tips – The trout can marinated and either be pan-fried or baked or even poached. Salmon can be used instead of trout.
Food focus - Trout is packed of omega 3 fish oils which can reduce inflammation and prevent cancer.
The pea shoots are not only high in all water soluble vitamins sch as vitamins B1, B2 and B6 and vitamin C along with minerals zinc, copper, phosphorus and folate along with dietary fibre.
1. Prepare the marinade by mixing together the mustard, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and marinate the trout for at least 15 min.
2. Slice the red onion and soak in a bowl of iced water in the fridge for 15 minutes.
3. In the meantime, prepare the basil oil by blitzing the lemon basil with the oil and salt in a small food processor. You may need to add a little more oil to ensure that it is not too thick.
4. Arrange the washed pea shoots in a plate stopped with the strawberry halves, avocado dice and red onion.
5. Heat a large non-stick pan and pan-fry the trout for about 3 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
6. Arrange onto the salad and drizzle with the basil oil
Thanks to Toral Shah founder of The Urban Kitchen for creating this recipe with Fishbox