1 tbsp butter
1 heaped spoon of flour
1 tsp mustard
Bottle of beer (I used a 300ml bottle of BrewDog Punk IPA)
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ cup mature cheddar, grated
1 egg yolk
2 hunks of bread
1. Scrub and remove the beards from the mussels, rinsing under cold water. You can discard any mussels that don’t close when tapped.
2. Pop the mussels in a saucepan and add a glug of beer. Cover with a lid and cook until the shells open (around 4-5 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour.
4. Keep the saucepan on a low heat and whisk in the remaining beer slowly, followed by the mustard, cayenne pepper and grated cheese. Stir until smooth and then quickly whisk in the egg yolk.
5. Arrange the mussels on a large plate or shallow bowl. Pour over the sauce (try to get as much as possible inside the shells!) and serve with lightly toasted bread.