Dawn Waldron from
- 250g king scallops, rinsed with roes intact
- 70g cubed pancetta
- ½ red chilli
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- 100g fresh samphire
- 1 tbsp butter
- 10g fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp single cream
Salt and black pepper (to taste
- Approx. 45 mins before you want to eat, put the pancetta, chilli and rosemary into a small, shallow frying pan over a low heat.
- Allow the pancetta to render, releasing its fat and turning a rich mahogany colour, whilst picking up the aroma and flavour of the rosemary and chilli.
- Just before you are ready to eat, place the peas and samphire in a pan, cover with boiling water and cook for 3 mins. Drain the peas and samphire.
- Whilst the samphire and peas are cooking, add the butter to your bacon pan and turn up the heat.
- When the butter starts to foam, add the scallops to the pan and cook them for approx. 4 mins, turning them halfway through so that they pick up some colour on both sides. Ensure the whites are no longer translucent.
- Add the peas and samphire back to the pan and swirl in the cream.
- Remove the scallops from the heat, add a twist of black pepper and serve side by side with the peas and samphire.
Tip: If you want to add some extra flavour, deglaze your scallop pan with a slug of dry sherry or add fresh herbs e.g. dill, basil, parsley etc to the samphire and peas.