Skate is a popular fish in Korea. It has a mild, sweet taste and has cartilage so no bones.
1 skate wing
1 spring/salad onion, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine (or white wine)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp sesame seeds
A pinch of pepper
1 spring/salad onion, thinly sliced length-ways
• Soak the skate in salt water for half an hour, then pat it dry.
• Lightly season with salt.
• Mix the sauce ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved.
• Add about 2 inches of boiling water to a large pan and place a steamer on top. If no steamer is available, place a small heat-proof baking dish or ramekin in the pan and place a heat-proof plate on top.
• When the water starts to steam add the skate, cover and steam for 8-10 minutes.
• Open the lid and spoon the sauce all over the fish.
• Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes.
• Serve with the optional spring/salad onion placed on top.