Dawn Waldron from
- 2 fresh skate wings
- 1 chicken-breast-sized piece of fresh cod roe, cut into chunks
- 1 dessertspoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- olive oil
- broccoli florets, sliced in half for quick cooking
- curly kale leaves, torn into smaller pieces
- half a (bergamot) lemon
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 120’C and gently heat some water in your steamer pan.
- Add a generous slug of olive oil and a knob of butter to a non-stick pan and gently cook the skate wings over a medium heat until turning golden on both sides – about 3 minutes each side.
- Remove to a baking tray and place in the oven while you do the rest of the cooking – about 15 minutes.
- In a small non-stick pan heat a knob of butter until foaming then add the chunks of cod roe and capers and cook fairly vigorously, turning occasionally and allowing the roes to change colour slowly from pale pink to golden brown.
- Halfway through cooking the roe add the sherry vinegar and continue to cook, turning as needed. The chunks of roe will start to break up and resemble breadcrumbs. Keep cooking.
- Five minutes before you are due to eat turn the heat up on the steamer and add the broccoli and kale to cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn the vegetables out into a bowl and dress with olive oil, black pepper and the zest and juice of the lemon. (Luckily, my Riverford box contained some subtle flavoured bergamot lemons.)
- Toss the greens and pile them onto the plate, top with the skate and then scatter the cod roe on top of that before serving.
- If you are feeling adventurous, top it all off with some chopped parsley. Supper fit for a king in 20 minutes flat – really delicious!
For more recipes from Dawn head over to https://dinnerwithdawn.com/