12 whiting fillets
1 egg, chilled
250ml soda water, chilled
100g gluten-free plain flour
100g gluten-free cornflour
1 tsp salt
Peanut oil, to deep-fry
1/2 Chinese Leaf, shredded
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 green shallots, cut into thin strips
1 celery stick, cut into matchsticks
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp mirin
1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce
1 tbsp black sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 tsp chicken or fish stock cube, crushed
2 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
1 tbsp Japanese mirin
• Combine the Chinese leaf, carrot, shallots and celery in a large bowl.
• Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, mirin and soy sauce in a bowl.
• Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
• Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
• Put the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
• Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
• Sieve the plain flour, cornflour and salt into a bowl.
• Whisk the egg and soda water in a different bowl.
• Add the flours and salt to the egg mixture to make a batter. Do not overmix.
• Add enough oil to a saucepan to reach a depth of 6-7cm.
• Heat to 180°C.
• Dip the fish fillets into the batter.
• Cook in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
• Drain onto a paper towel.
• Serve with the salad and dipping sauce.